Thursday, March 5, 2009

War Dead Photos....

I recently read where the government has lifted the ban on photographs taken of our war dead, granted the families approve of the media being at Dover to take photos of the flag draped caskets being taken off the plane, a ceremony known as the “dignified transfer of remains.” I’ve thought a lot about this and what I would do if Jason ended up as a casualty of war or if I had been in my time of service and what my family would have wanted. This is the conclusion that I have come to:
Bring it on! I wasn’t drafted into the military, none of the soldiers serving today were! I willingly joined knowing that ultimately I could be one of those soldiers that come home under the flag, bearing the ultimate sacrifice for my country. What an honor it should be! Yes, I understand that families are mourning the death of a loved one, but I think people should try to look at it from the point of view of the soldier. If I were killed in war for Americans, a lot of them that are ungrateful for what I’ve done, then I better get some respect and honor for bearing that sacrifice for them. Soldiers don’t want to die for their country, but it’s definitely an occupational hazard that we are all very aware of!!
I believe that photos being released of the flag draped caskets could be humbling. I’m 100% in support of the ban being lifted. I know that if I were ever in the situation, I would want to honor my loved one by allowing America to see the sacrifice he/she made, because they’ve earned it. In closing I will leave you with the words of Toby Keith:
“And I will always do my duty no matter what the price
I’ve counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice
Oh and I don’t want to die for you, but if dyin’s asked of me
I’ll bear that cross with honor, cause freedom don’t come free.”

1 comment:

Andy said...

I agree with you that it is important for the people of the nation that you died for to see the sacrifice you made, but the ban was intended to keep the liberal media from using those images to further their agenda of Bush bashing and ending Operation Iraqi Freedom. The more Americans are seeing flag draped caskets the more they want our men and women to come home. So essentially Rocko Backo lifting that ban is going to do just that, it garners sympathy for the cause of getting out of Iraq. That is my opinion anyway.