Sunday, March 20, 2011

my way....

When Amelia was about 16 months old or so, I posted a picture of her on my Facebook page, drinking from one of her bottles.  One of my friends posted a comment that was to the effect of, "Oh my gosh!  She still takes a bottle?!?" GASP!!!
I remember thinking to myself, I'm a horrible mother!  All the literature says that your child should be weaned from a bottle at betime by the time they are 12-14 months, and here I am parading it to the world that my 16 month old still takes her ba-ba!
Well guess what world. That same child, who is one day away from being 3 years old, STILL TAKES A BA-BA!  And I am not ashamed to admit it anymore!
There has only been one thing that she has been attached to in her young existence, and it's the bottle! She climbs into bed, gets out a chunk of hair to twirl around her fingers and drinks that ba-ba until it is all gone.  Every night!  Most nights I will find her snuggled with the ba-ba... this picture was taken 2 nights ago.  She does snuggle with "blue dog" at night, but would give him up in a flash to have the ba-ba.
It's not as though I am not trying to wean her off the bottle, because I am.  I'm just sick of trying to put the poor girl on a guilt trip of "not being a big girl" all because she loves her ba!  How is her sleeping with the bottle any different than say, oh the bink that is in Kendall's mouth - evidence taken via photo the same night!  We brush her teeth regularly, and she doesn't suck on the bottle all night, I take it away once she goes to sleep.  It's actually better than a bink or a thumb if you ask me!  And no, I see nothing wrong with a kid who sucks their thumb or takes a binky either, and I understand the medical reasons of why all these things should not be done.  But, really, what it comes down to, I'm still the mom and will do it my way!

1 comment:

Andy said...

You should never feel ashamed for the way YOU parent YOUR child. Who cares if the girl still drinks from a bottle at night, you have done the research and educated yourself about the pros and cons of a bottle, so obviously you know what you are doing.
Honestly, is a country where 86% of girls, and 64% of boys are calcium deficient, I see no problem with giving your child an extra helping of milk at night. Breaking a bone is a lot worse than sleeping with a bottle.