Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Baby Story...

I was set to be induced at 6:30 on November 3rd. Jason and I got up at 4:45 and headed to my moms where we dropped Amelia off with Nan and Dot for the day. I called the hospital to make sure that I had a bed, and they said to come in at 7:30. We hung around for a bit and then Jason, Mom and I headed up to Idaho Falls.
~
Once we got settled in the room, I was checked and was still only dilated to a 3, but that's better than a zero! They started the pitocin drip and Dr. Isbell decided that he was going to wait until noon to break my water. My contractions started to get pretty painful at about 11 a.m. and my nurse told me that I should "get in line" for my epidural considering that Labor and Delivery was full and there were about 4 girls in front of me. So I said bring on the epidural baby!
~
Noon came and went and still no Doc to break my water or the magic man with the epidural. I was pretty much ready to die by this point! My contractions were pretty consistant every 2 to 2 1/2 minutes and they were hard! Doc finally showed up at 1:30 to break my water. He checked me and I was dilated to a 6.
~
The medicine man showed up at 1:45 and started my epidural. I don't know if you knew, but with Amelia my epidural did NOT work! I pretty much had her with no pain medicine whatsoever, except I couldn't feel my legs! Anyways, back to this time. He got it in, and while I was hunched over, he put in the medicine and there was this shooting pain in my lower back and I could not move. I felt so paralyzed and I was really scared. They said that it was too far away from the sight to have anything to do with the medicine, but I sat there for a good 5 minutes not able to sit up straight because I was in so much pain. Apparently God heard my pleas of agony and made it all go away and I was able to move again. I laid in my bed for another half an hour waiting for the epidural to kick in. All the pain had concentrated into my left leg, so weird! I finally elevated my right side and all the pain was bye bye. I hate not being able to feel my legs, I think that's one of the downsides to an epidural. I felt useless when they asked me to move my butt around or something haha!
~
By the time all that was done, it was 2:30 and my nurse remembered she needed to put in my cathater. That was put in and I laid there for another half hour. My contractions were completely gone by this time. I don't mean that I could feel them (I couldn't) but they were completely gone off of the screen. I was no longer contracting. My nurse was off at 3, so when the new nurse came in to see how I was doing, I had told her that the contractions were gone. My other nurse came back in and said that she would check to see how far dilated I was because she was the last one to check me. She was like, uhh wow, you are complete! She made me push a little and she was like, yep there is a head! I'm going to go call the doctor!
~
Everything from there went so fast! The doctor was there within 10 minutes. I never felt like I needed to push really, but there was a lot of pressure like I needed to take a poo (come on you all know that feeling!). At 3:30 I pushed one time and it was like she shot right down. I wasn't expecting it to happen so fast and it sorta hurt and all I could do was cry! Of course she was face up, but with the second push during that contraction, she completely turned facedown. On the next contraction, I pushed once and the head was out. A few more little pushes for the shoulders and WELCOME TO THE WORLD KENDALL!!
~
She was perfect! And she looked just like Amelia did. Jason got to cut the cord again! After I was all cleaned up, the rest of my family got to come in the room, INCLUDING AMELIA!! I was so excited that my nurse allowed her to come in with me! It was such a special moment for me to have both my babies and Jason there! Amelia took one look under the hat they put on Kendall, saw all that gross matted down hair and all she could say after that was "Ewww, hairs!" She did not like that it was dirty! We got to keep her in the room with us for over an hour, and I even got to nurse her before they took her to clean her up. I didn't get to do that with Amelia. Jason went with her and got to give her a bath, which he said was so slippery that the nurse had to take over for him haha! He was not used to handling a little baby anymore!
~
I stayed in the hospital for 48 hours after she was born because that's what the pediatrician recommends. It was a great stay. I loved all the nurses that I had, what an awesome experience! So much better than the first time I went. I felt so much more energized this time, probably because I didn't push for 50 minutes! Poor Jason had to sleep on this fold away bed that wasn't big enough to even roll over on! We had many visitors, and it was so fun to show off our new little bundle of joy to everyone! I tried to get pictures of everyone that came, but I found that I didn't get even half of the people that showed up! If you have pictures, please email them to me!
~
A special thanks to Jason for staying awake this time! I'm so blessed to have you in my life and to help me through the hard times that I have. I love you so much. Thanks to my mom for helping us so much with Amelia while we were staying in the hospital, and an even bigger thanks for being there to help me bring Kendall into the world! Thanks to my sisters for watching Amelia when Mom couldn't. You guys are the best! And thanks to everyone else for the phone calls, texts and visits that we have recieved since the baby arrived. We are so blessed to have such awesome friends and family!
Quick story about this picture: The thing on her umbilical cord is actually a tracking device! Jason was holding her one night and the nurse came in and said that her computer had told her that our baby was missing. Apparently this little sucker tracks were the baby is at all times and if you get too close to a door with it on, it locks down the hospital! How cool is that! So no babies can be taken from the hospital until their mom gets that contraption removed! I thought that was awesome!

2 comments:

courtney and andrew said...

I love Dr. Isbell. He has delivered all 3 of my babies. He is quite to the point but overall a great doc! I am so glad this one went to much better. Congrats on the new little gal!

Miss Jana said...

She is beautiful! I am jealous of all her hair! I'm so glad all went well, Congrats!