Wednesday, February 16, 2011

making a house a home.... kitchen revamped!

I've been meaning to post pictures of our house that we bought 2 1/2 years ago... now that Jason and I have actually got the place looking how we want it to (or somewhat close) I figure I could start posting the upgrades we have done to our home on my blog.

This house was build in the 1950's, just keep that in mind!
I will begin with the kitchen!  This was obviously not the selling point because it is pretty tiny.  We barely have enough room for the kitchen table, but we make due with what we have!  It was painted in a southwest sort of theme, I think lol, but as you can see the bright orange and brown walls were quite a sight for sore eyes!  So were the gold lights that were all over the entire house!  I HATE GOLD!!  Those lights and all the paint colors were the first things to go!  We were also not very big fans of the white appliances, but we couldn't afford to upgrade and they were all in pretty good shape so we opted to keep the white.

So to make the house feel more "clean", all the ceilings and baseboards were painted white, which I have NO idea why they were painted that weird brown color anyway, it made the house feel a ton smaller!  All the southwest brown and orange were covered with this cactus green, which I wasn't 100% sure I liked, but it has def grown on me!  The cupboards were then painted a vanilla cream color.  They look white in the pictures, but it's not.  And we finally upgraded all our appliances to black/stainless steel!  The cupboard doors have always been a complicated subject.  They are painted with an oil paint and I really don't know what other color to paint them with, so we left them with the reddish brown.  It may look out of place in the kitchen, but it flows with the colors from the living room.  Jason and my dad also had to rip out the cupboard that was above the fridge to make room for the larger fridge.... we never used that stupid cupboard for anything anyway!

  
You would probably never believe that this wall was that horrid orange color.  Yes, the entire wall!  I must not have taken a pic of it because it was just so horrendous that I went temporarily blind!  We replaced the nasty white fan (can't find a pic of it) that used to be there with this one and finally upgraded our kitchen table!  We were using my Aunt Terri's old table, but the color didn't really match anything so we donated it to the DI and gave the chairs to my mom, since she can always use more chairs!  The second pic is from our Super Bowl party in 2009 so you get the idea of how the old table looked with that.
  

A big thanks to my sisters and my mom who spent a lot of time helping me paint and helping watch Amelia, since she was just a wee little babe when this project first started.  I think it took us 3-4 days to finish painting the kitchen, but it was loads of fun!  Times that I will forever cherish and remember!

1 comment:

Andy said...

Sean Kingston was drown in the kitchen. I'll never forget he sang until all the air from his lungs was gone.