Saturday, February 26, 2011

Skype!...

My sister took this picture on my birthday.  I was lucky enough to have Jason there to sing happy birthday to me, and it made my day that much more special.  I have to admit that this is one of the most hilariously funny family pictures that I have ever taken, BUT it has so much more meaning than any that have been captured.

I love the program Skype!  I wish they had it when I was stationed in Georgia or living in Virginia!  I would have spent many nights talking with my mom and sisters, being able to see them, rather than just listening to their voices on the phone!

If you have never spent a significant amount of time away from your spouse/boyfriend/lover/whatever you call them, then you may not understand the importance of being able to actually see them when you talk!  Being able to see Jason smile or blow us kisses has a real impact on our kids.  Kendall actually kisses the computer screen to give him kisses goodnight!  The way their eyes light up when they see him sitting there ready to talk, and even the way his eyes light up when he gets to see them is just incredible.  Sometimes, we just leave the computer in the living room and he watches them play and be crazy, which I know he really feels like he's missing out on. 

I know it sounds silly, but we actually scheduled to have a date night last week!  We didn't eat dinner together or anything, but I waited until the girls were asleep so that we could be "alone" and we just sat and talked to each other for 2 hours, uninterrupted!  It was the most glorious night I've had in a long time.  We laughed, I cried (of course) and we caught up on all the happenings of our lives!  I know it sounds weird, but we, maybe, talk on the phone for about 10 minutes on the weekdays.  His day starts at 4:30 a.m. with PT, he gets out of class at about 4:30 p.m., final formation at 5 p.m., PT again at 5:30, out at 6:30 p.m., then he has to eat dinner, and do about 2 hours of homework every night, and he is tired and ready for bed by 9.  It doesn't leave much time for family chats.  And I work weekends so there goes half the day then too.

So, to the creators of Skype, I freakin love you!  Thanks for letting my family be close even though we are far apart!

3 comments:

Nicole and Brent Prime said...

You are such a trooper! We love Skype too. We talk to Grandparents in Canada and Utah. But one set of Grandparents have trouble getting their picture on ours for some reason. Any suggestions? Every time we spend 10 minutes trying to get it to work right.

Miss Jana said...

Jenny, I love this post and picture!! You are so strong, I don't know how you do it. It really does make all the difference being able to see them. We used it when we left Maddux for a week. I hope your doing good.

Unknown said...

I love this post - the family picture is the cutest I've ever seen. You . are. amazing. Hang in there!