Happy Birthday!!!
Today my Grannie would have turned 66. It's her first birthday that we've had without her and I must say that we all miss her something terrible. I know she misses us just as much and, even though this has been so hard on my family, that she is always with us in spirit and is always watching over us!
Some things I miss the most:
- Random phone calls where we would pretend to be Chinese, and no matter what mood we were in, laugh together
- Looking at the stars while living on the east coast, or in Kuwait, or even just in Pocatello and knowing that she was looking at the same stars as me and her telling me that if I just look at the stars I will not be alone
- Rubbing elbows to say hello/good bye instead of kisses and hugs when we were sick!
- The grunting noise she made at Amelia to make her smile
- Her fried Shrimp w/homemade cocktail sauce
- Our long talks about how I should go back to church even though she hasn't been in over 20 years
- Her smile and her laugh
- The soft, wrinkley feel of her hand and the way she held mine and kissed it anytime I went to visit her
- Getting her a froggy present for her back porch every year
- Sitting out on the back patio and bullshitting for hours and hours
- How she wrote me letters every week while I was at basic training, occasionally while I was in Georgia, and every week while I was deployed to Kuwait
- How she made me feel like I was the most special grandkid, but for some reason my brothers and sisters felt the same way
- Her filthy mouth and how she was not afraid to offend anyone or say some of the most dirty, rotten words I've ever heard in my life
- Our family camping trips
- How she was so free never wearing a bra (haha!)
- Eating a bowel of ice cream everynight
- Sleeping in her humungous bed and talking until 2 in the morning, even though we said good night 4 or 5 times
- Amelia sleeping with us, and crying remembering the day I told her that I would be back with a baby to sleep with us
- Never missing my birthday with a card and some money
- Always asking me to do a chore for her 2 minutes after I show up to her house
I love you Grannie and miss you ALWAYS!
1 comment:
She sounds like a wonderful Grandma. I am sorry for your loss. Reading all the fun times you had with her makes me understand why your daughter is such a ham. :)
Post a Comment