Saturday, May 30, 2009

Rest in Peace, Fellow Soldier

When I thought about writing a blog about this subject, it was originally going to be a rant and rave about Facebook and how it breaches everything that the military attempts to protect when a soldier dies, whether it's in combat or not...but when I got to work this morning, this picture was in my email (taken yesterday by our ordinance officer)...and I couldn't help but have a change of heart...

This is what Bryce Millward's mom's house looked like after finding out that her son had tragically died in a helicopter crash in Hawaii last Wednesday during an Army training exercise...what a patriotic tribute to his life as a soldier! All of Cotant Park was lined with flags as well, and I can only imagine that they are going to be there until his body is laid to rest. What an honor!

I know few soldiers have died from our little community, but Bryce is actually the first of them that I actually knew. I don't mean know like we hung out on weekends, but we had our seminary class together when I was a sophomore and just from that short experience I understood what a great person he was! His sister was also in my ward, she was always trying to set him up on dates with the girls!

I am always sad to hear of when a soldier has lost his/her life, this one is just a little closer than the ones I don't know. Rest in Peace fellow brother in arms and thank you for your service and ultimate sacrifice for this country!

No comments: